As we get older, our bodies weaken. This can affect our body and mind, especially our moods. We might face illness later too. This situation is called “frailty”. We’re still healthy but on the verge of disease. And we need to stay on the alert…
When we’re getting older, there are 5 key symptoms to watch out for. When we spot 3, frailty is part of our lives.
Symptoms to watch for:
- Unintended or unexplained weight loss of over 4.5 kg or over 5% of your body weight in 1 year
- Feeling tired or exhausted
- Muscle weakness
- Slow walking
- Lower daily activity
Frailty affects us in 3 areas:
- Mentally, with impaired thinking, depression, hopelessness, exhaustion
- Physically, with reduced functions of various systems, weaker muscles, higher risk of falling due to impaired balance
- Economically, from the cost of care, hospital stays, and disability
These factors can help us stay strong:
- Exercise to build muscle mass and strength.
- Tai Chi to improve concentration, balance, and walking.
- Food supplements such as protein to boost muscle mass.
- Oral health from regular dental checks, brushing and flossing, limited sugar and soda.
- Helpful family members who keep an eye on us and take care of us.
- Homes with handrails, level floors, and an emergency button.
Frailty puts us at high risk of disease and accidents.
The Aspen Tree at The Forestias knows about the changes that come with age so meets our needs when we become frail.
Floors are level and non-slip. Wide doors facilitate both everyday and emergency access. Handrails are installed in the bathroom and shower. There are emergency call buttons. Lighting in great for our eyes at all ages.
A natural forest setting gives shade and a fresh, inspiring atmosphere to wake up to each day.
Above all, experts from Canada’s Baycrest center and the Health & Brain Center ensure excellent healthcare services.
With all these factors, life at 50+ can stay full of everyday well-being.