As we get older we start to wonder what we can do to avoid dementia. Dementia and Alzheimer's aren’t 100% preventable but there’s lots we can do to reduce the risk.
Baycrest research into dementia and Alzheimer's has found that our brains change in many ways. There’s a gradual change over 10 years before memory loss can be clearly seen as dementia rather than aging. Studies suggest dementia can be linked to our lifestyles when we’re younger.
Read more: Your lifestyle from 18 to 80 could put you at risk of Alzheimer’s
Alzheimer’s has many risk factors, including some we cannot control like genetics, age, and race. But our lifestyle is also crucial.
Dr. Howard Chertkow, a brain specialist at Baycrest, highlights behavior modification as a key way to prevent or slow down dementia that you should adopt early, before symptoms appear.
15 Ways to Reduce Your Alzheimer’s Risk
- Manage medical conditions. Disorders such as kidney disease and sleep apnea can affect your brain health.
- Get a good night’s sleep on a regular basis. Relax before going to bed and create a comfortable sleeping environment.
- Keep fit and exercise regularly. Walk 10 minutes, 3x a week and build that to 1 hour per day, 3x a week.
- Take care of your dental hygiene. Floss and brush regularly.
- Engage in intellectually stimulating activities. Activities can include crosswords, puzzles, trivia etc.
- Treat hearing loss. Visit an audiologist to learn about helpful communication strategies.
- Eat a healthy diet. Get started with the Brain Health Food Guide.
- Stay socially active. Join a community centre or a book club.
- Find a purpose in life. Volunteering may be the best route.
- Decrease stress. Try yoga or meditation to help you relax.
- Protect your heart health. Treat high blood pressure, cholesterol and heart disease.
- Prevent diabetes and obesity. Adopt a healthy lifestyle.
- Treat depression. Discuss with your doctor.
- Avoid taking sedatives. Sleeping pills should also be avoided.
- Avoid excess alcohol. Limit your intake to one glass of wine.
The Aspen Tree operated by Baycrest gives you the facilities, care, and services to live happy and healthy, well in mind, body, and brain.
We can protect ourselves from conditions such Alzheimer's at any age through healthy lifestyles that enhance each day.
The Aspen Tree looks after you in every aspect with support from Baycrest, a world leader in research and healthcare for older adults. Health and wellness activities boost your physical and mental well-being and promote brain health to reduce the risk of Alzheimer's and dementia. Yoga, exercise, water fitness, hydrotherapy, and swimming in an outdoor pool all strengthen your mind and body.
Experts are on hand to advise you and oversee your well-being. The Health & Brain Center has specialist support to keep you well. The community is set in verdant forest to immerse you in the peace and wonder of nature. A warm community welcomes you to amazing times with new friends. The clubhouse offers space for your favorite pastimes and hobbies.
All this lets you live carefree in a perfect setting with every amenity.
Discover now how to live life to the full in every aspect as an older adult.
Find out more CLICK https://mqdc.com/aspentree
Call on 1265
LINE OA: @TheAspenTree or click https://mqdc.link/40KkNdJ