19 January 2021, Bangkok – Research & Innovation for Sustainability Center (RISC) by MQDC has passed an international milestone under its “For All Well-Being” strategy for the well-being of all life on earth by achieving “Gold” WELL Building Standard Certification for New and Existing Interiors.
This certification is the first such “Gold” in Southeast Asia and Thailand from the International WELL Building Institute (IWBI), whose standards to enhance the health and well-being of building users MQDC is applying in its projects such as The Forestias.
“MQDC focuses on well-being, with all its projects developed based on research by RISC, a leading innovation center for health and sustainability,” said Mr. Visit Malaisirirat, CEO of MQDC.
“Gaining the first WELL Building Standard ‘Gold’ certification in Southeast Asia and Thailand shows the leadership of MQDC and RISC in Thai real estate by applying standards in every MQDC project to truly enhance the well-being of all life under the concept of 'For All Well-Being'.”
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Singh Intrachooto, Chief Advisor of RISC, said the research center is proud to receive the first "Gold" WELL certification in Southeast Asia and Thailand through evaluation in 7 key concepts for healthy buildings – Air, Water, Light, Nourishment, Fitness, Comfort, Mind – in line with RISC’s 2 main research areas: 1. Health & Wellness and 2. Materials & Resources.
“The WELL Building Standard was developed over 7 years with research including medical personnel, scientists, and experts in various industries,” he said.
“RISC by MQDC was intensely evaluated before a final assessment by Green Business Certification Inc. (GBCI), the central agency that certifies the WELL Building Standard.”
Mr. Vasuta Chan, Senior Research Architect at RISC, a LEED AP BD + C, and a WELL AP, who received a Leadership Award from the International WELL Building Institute (IWBI) in 2019, said: “Achieving WELL Building Standard certification for RISC by MQDC at Magnolias Ratchadamri Boulevard required complying with all 7 Core WELL Concepts:
1. Air. RISC is designed to provide good air circulation and keep out pollution with air filters to remove dust, germs, and volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Air sensors and real-time air quality display systems as well as the selection of non-toxic building materials also contribute to good air quality.
2. Water. RISC gives its users access to clean water with a dispenser in a prominent and easily accessible spot. The water is clean, clear, and free from chemical or bacterial contamination with a sample sent for quality testing and checking every 3 months.
3. Light. RISC is designed to let in lots of natural light without affecting its indoor temperature. Artificial interior lighting is also bright enough for various activities without dazzling. Lighting is optimized for the circadian rhythm, helping produce melatonin for sleep, for instance.
4. Nourishment. RISC encourages building users to consume healthy food and drinks, reducing the health risks from long-term unhealthy eating and noncommunicable diseases (NCDs), and provides enough seating for all its users to eat and drink.
5. Fitness. RISC has designed an environment that encourages its users to exercise and change their posture during the day to avoid sedentary lifestyles and Office Syndrome. Work desks can be adjusted for standing or sitting. Work chairs are selected according to BIFMA criteria to enable adjustment and promote good posture.
6. Comfort. RISC is designed according to the principles of Universal Design and furniture follows Ergonomic Design for users of all ages. Indoor temperature, humidity, sound, and odor can be adjusted for comfort and a Sound Masking system reduces noise pollution.
7. Mind. RISC’s environment is designed to boost the mental health of building users. A green area applies Biophilic Design principles to make people feel relaxed while working. A nap corner stimulates productivity. Lockers are provided to meet everyone’s needs with storage space of at least 0.1 cubic meter. The center measures its users’ satisfaction to keep improving its systems each year.
RISC is Asia's first research center for development for sustainable quality of life. It aims to gather research data and form a global network of sustainability researchers.
The healthy and eco-friendly center features an energy control system and monitors indoor air quality (IAQ) in all its zones. RISC also curates Thailand’s first Eco Material Library with details of over 400 environment-friendly building materials.
Explore RISC’s work for well-being and sustainability at www.risc.in.th