FutureTales Lab held “Futures Talk: The Future of Thai Children and Youth after the Pandemic”, a 1st online conference. Ms. Wipattra Totemchokchaikarn, Foresight Researcher at FutureTales Lab by MQDC, spoke on…
12 Effects of Parental Death on Children and Adolescents
1) Academic failure – Bereaved children will perform less well educationally.
2) Bonding in relationships– Children will have deep negative feelings that will harm future relationships.
3) Broken trust – Trust suffers with the early loss of a role model such as a father or mother.
4) Sexual problems – Inappropriate sexual behavior may emerge.
5) Changing family dynamics – The rest of the family may seek to take on the role of the
missing member, causing relationship problems.
6) Psychiatric disorders – Psychiatric disorders may develop.
7) Alcohol consumption – Alcohol consumption may be affected.
8) MDD and PTSD – Major depressive disorder and mental illness may result.
9) Low self-esteem – Children may develop a lack of self-confidence.
10) Lack of life skills – Children could miss out on life skills they would have gained from their lost parent.
11) Negative effects on gender – A father’s loss may affect boys most and a mother’s loss
may affect girls most.
12) Involvement in crime – Criminals often lose their families as children.
Watch the full interview here >>> CLICK